Critter Culture
What to Do if Your Dog Eats Edibles

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Edibles

Critter Culture Staff



Dogs are known to be curious creatures, and they love to explore their surroundings. Unfortunately, this curiosity can sometimes lead to them getting into things they shouldn't, like edibles.

Edibles can contain high levels of THC, which can be toxic to dogs, even in small doses. If your dog eats edibles, it can be a scary situation for both you and your pet, but with proper care—and, in some cases, emergency veterinarian care—you and your dog can get through this situation unscathed.


Remain calm

It's important to stay calm and not panic. Panicking will only make the situation worse for both you and your dog. While potentially harmful, eating edibles doesn't necessarily mean it's the end for your dog. With immediate care, your dog's chances of survival are high.

Beagle dog female owner caress stroking her pet lying on the back on natural stroking dog on the floor and enjoying the warm home atmosphere. Solovyova/ Getty Images


Call your veterinarian

If your dog has eaten edibles, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. They can give you advice on what to do next, whether that's providing care at home and monitoring your dog's health or bringing them into the vet's office.

If your dog has eaten a particularly large dose or if you're unsure how much they've consumed, your vet is likely to recommend an in-person appointment to determine the best course of treatment.

Handsome man and a charming puppy. Close-up, indoors. Studio photo, white color. Concept of care, education, obedience training and raising pets Sviatlana Barchan/ Getty Images


Monitor your dog's symptoms

Observe your dog for signs of THC toxicity. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and changes in behavior. Even if your vet has advised you to let your dog recuperate at home, these signs indicate issues that should be addressed with another call or visit.

Woman petting three-legged dog jack russell terrier calling on her smartphone at home Demidova Ekaterina / 500px/ Getty Images


Keep the packaging

If there's a package left behind after your dog has gotten into the edibles, keep it and show it to your veterinarian. The package likely contains crucial information that can help your vet understand how much THC and CBD your dog ingested so they can ensure they receive the best care possible.

Young female in casual clothes sitting at wooden table and taking photo on smartphone of cannabis package while resting in outdoor cafe Ekaterina Demidova/ Getty Images


Don't induce vomiting

While making your dog throw up might be the first thing that comes to mind after they've eaten edibles, it's one of the worst things you can do. Inducing vomiting can be dangerous for your dog, and it's important that it's only done under the advice and supervision of your veterinarian.

Beautiful Vizsla dog on a examination table at the veterinarian. Caucasian female pet owner calming a dog. Veterinarian examining dogs paws. AzmanJaka/ Getty Images


Keep your dog hydrated

THC toxicity can quickly cause dehydration in dogs, so it's important to offer them plenty of water if they've consumed edibles. Signs that your dog is dehydrated include loss of appetite, vomiting, panting, lethargy, and a dry nose. If dehydration becomes severe, your dog may require intravenous fluids, which will be administered at the vet clinic.

A Hamiltonian beagle is drinking water from a bottle. Outdoor photo Anita Kot/ Getty Images


Provide supportive care

After your dog has consumed edibles, they will likely require supportive care for up to several days after. Your vet will provide you with instructions but, most likely, supportive care will include altering their diet temporarily until nausea or diarrhea has passed, offering a heating pad for comfort, or administering medications to alleviate some of their symptoms.

Woman waiting for her dog to be examined by doctor Nikola Stojadinovic/ Getty Images


Watch for signs of severe toxicity

Even if your dog hasn't shown the signs of THC toxicity that were mentioned earlier, it's important to be aware of what severe toxicity looks like and to seek immediate help if your dog experiences them. These include seizures, coma, and difficulty breathing.

These symptoms can occur as soon as five minutes after ingestion or up 12 hours later, but, most often, signs of severe toxicity can be seen within one to three hours of your dog consuming edibles.

Female Artist Drawing At Home In Company Of Her Cute Poodle Dog hobo_018/ Getty Images


Monitor your dog for several days

Even if your dog seems to be in the clear after ingesting edibles, it's best to keep an eye on them for several days after the incident. It's rare, but symptoms of THC toxicity can be delayed, taking as long as two to three days to appear.

Try to avoid leaving your dog alone after they've eaten edibles, and pay close attention to their appetite and behavior.

Girl sleeping on couch with her Golden Retriever dog Klaus Vedfelt/ Getty Images


Keep edibles out of reach

Prevent future incidents by keeping edibles out of reach. Store them up high or in a locked cabinet or cupboard that your dog can't access. Take extra care to put them away after taking them out, and make sure to throw all packaging into the trash, so your dog doesn't have the opportunity to lick any leftover crumbs or residue.

CBD chocolate bites with cool splattered cocoa butter designs on white background above view Sarah Pender/ Getty Images


What Is Cushing's Disease in Dogs?

What Is Cushing's Disease in Dogs?

Get your paws on the latest animal news and information